Monday, September 5, 2016

"Wake Me Up When September Ends...." (Sept. 5, 2016)

Hello and Happy Labor Day! First, thanks For the hump day package! I got the package and opened it and then went and showed it President and he sure got a kick of it too. Hahaha y'all are just too darn funny. Although I'm not sure what to do with half a shirt or one chancla...... I'm sure I'll figure out something haha. It's been such a good week!

We had much more time this week to work in our area which was super nice! We haven't had too much luck with finding new investigators but have been working diligently with the ones we do have. I can also testify that God is performing miracles when we do have that opportunity to go out and work. There was one night this week where we were going to visit this recent convert/less active family and they didn't answer. We were walking back to the car when we saw UHaul pull up. We go over and it's this Spanish family moving into this apartment. We offer our help and got to know them a little. They actually just moved from Salt Lake. They were really appreciative of our help, seeing as it was about 8:45 p.m. Hopefully we can go and start to teach them. Another cool little instance this week was on Tuesday visiting a less active with Hermano Reyes. Before we left, we asked if there was anything we could do to help her and she was like, "Sabes qué. Saben cómo cambiar una llanta?" (Do you know how to change a tire?)  And we were like "Por supuesto!" (Of course) She just told us she got a flat and needed to change it to get to work tomorrow. So of course we helped her and she was set. Cool stuff, right? Service really opens the hearts of people and connects the "what" we do with the "Why" we do it. 

I told you about that referral we got last week with the husband, who is a member, and the wife, who is not, who is basically ready for baptism. She wants to progress a little more with the Book of Mormon and then she's set. They have a son named Xander, who is like 2. They think the church would be a great place for him to grow up in and we most definitely agreed. Haha we hope to have some real miracles with them soon. 

Éter 12:27 
27 y si los hombres vienen a mí, les mostraré su debilidad. Doy a los hombres debilidad para que sean humildes; y basta mi gracia a todos los hombres que se humillan ante mí; porque si se humillan ante mí, y tienen fe en mí, entonces haré que las cosas débiles sean fuertes para ellos.
Ether 12:27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

Lo haré en español porque es divertido, no? Me encantaaaaa este escritura! Es bien especial para mí a saber que Dios nos ama tanto que El podría darnos las debilidades para que seamos humildes. Estoy bien agradecido por la oportunidad para aprender la humildad también. yo he visto que es bien difícil para ser orgulloso y hacer este obra. Necesitamos la humildad para que tengamos el espíritu con nosotros siempre. ¡qué increíble es para ser un siervo de nuestro Señor Jesucristo!  (Loose translation by Google Translator: I'll do it in Spanish because it's fun, no? I love this scripture! It is very special for me to know that God loves us so much that He could give us the weaknesses that we should be humble. I am very grateful for the opportunity to learn humility as well. I have seen that it is very difficult to be proud and do this work. We need humility so that we have the Spirit with us always. How amazing is to be a servant of our Lord Jesus Christ!)

I love getting the opportunity to serve! I love the Lord. Thank you for your support and love. Have a sicknastysweet week! 

Con Amor

Elder Joyner

"When an investigator drops you, but then you see them out in public and you're just like..."

A story from the Santa Rosa Mission:
Frank Somerville KTVU added 3 new photos.
This is the story of Dina and Dave.
Dave has cancer and is very weak.
This is what Dina posted the other day when he was coming back from Chemo.
The kindness comes in at the end:
Friday's are chemo days.
They consist of getting him settled in at the Cancer Center then me running errands during the several hours he is in infusion.
Then we head home.
That is where the day turns dark.
We live in a second story flat with 15 steps leading up to it.
Dave is in a wheelchair due to extreme weakness.
He can walk, but only a few steps.
We sit at the bottom of the steps while he looks up, steeling himself against the inevitable panic attack that takes hold midway up, trying to decide if he should scoot up backwards or attempt to walk, allowing me to half drag/half carry him.
He is terrified of the stairs.
Too weak to make it up, knowing if he falls, it's over.
Every week I watch this panic take over and reduce him to shaking and sobbing.
Then the humiliation creeps in.
It takes an hour to get up the stairs and the rest of the evening to calm him down.
Today, we got home and I wheeled him to the bottom of the stairs.
We sat there together, looking up.
He started shaking.
I started soothing.
Then, our neighbors, The Mormon Elders happened upon us.
We visit often, and every few weeks a new Elder is introduced as they start their mission.
Today, there were four of them.
From the beginning, these gentlemen have reached out and offered council and support, bringing treats for the kids, meals for us and offering friendship.
Today, they went so far above and beyond, I am humbled.
They noticed Dave's distress and offered to help.
I briefly explained the difficulty, not sure how they might be able to help.
Without another word, with two in front and two in back, they lifted Dave to their shoulders, chair and all, and bore him up the stairs.
They settled him into his recliner and carried the chair back down for me to stow.
Through my tears, I told them:
“You don't know what you have done for us. You don't know how you just took his terror and cast it away.
You gave us a happy family Friday...the first in many many months..
You don't know how you alleviated my heartache...
You just don't know.”
Each one of them just smiled at me, taking my hand one after the other.
Then they told me they will be here next Friday.
To carry him up.
To prevent his panic and make sure our family gets quality time, not stressful time.
What kind of people do that?!
I asked God to surround us with his Angels.
Again and again, He has.
----Dina
Sometimes the smallest things can make the biggest difference.
Stay Strong Dave.



No comments:

Post a Comment