Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Learning Things the Left Way (Sep 15, 2015)

¡Hola! Holy cow what a week! It's been filled with lots of adventures and exciting times. I've been here two weeks and its gone by so fast!!! They say days go by so slow but the weeks go by crazy fast. That's such a true statement. It's been such a crazy ride. 

OHHH soooo I mentioned last week I hurt my hand playing basketball. Well it continued to hurt all week, so I finally went to the doctor on Friday to see what was up. The doctor there was like "Oh it's probably not broken, because you probably would have to have a really high pain tolerance, but let's get it x-rayed just to be sure." So I got it x-rayed and yes it turned out to be fractured. lol good fun! The doctor was kinda shocked! I got a pass and left the CCM (MTC) to go get a cast on that day. It was a clean cut, so it should heal quite nicely. Dad, I think it was just a simple fracture is what they said. I'm going back the 2nd of October to get new pictures of the break and they said they'll probably put me in a velcro splint. It doesn't effect my leave date, but it effects my day to day activities. The way the bone broke made the cast mold a little funky, meaning my pinky finger and ring finger are bent facing downward. It's made things like writing and brushing my teeth (or anything with my right hand difficult to do). Although it seems kinda bad, i'm just very grateful it wasn't anything more serious. It may be a little bump in the road that the Lord has placed in my way, but i'm grateful for the opportunity to learn how to work around it. I am truly humbled by it.

Lovin' It!


Ok enough about that. EXCITING NEWS. We got our iPads this week. It's been such a cool experience already learning how to utilize this technology that the Lord has blessed us with. We're learning how to use it to fulfill our purpose as missionaries which is: 
"Invitar a las personas a venir a Cristo al ayudarlas a que recibian el Evangelio restaurado mediante la fe en JesuCristo y Su expiación, el arrepentimiento, el bautismo, la recepción del don del Espíritu Santo y el preserverar hasta el fin."

Because it's difficult to write with my cast, it's been a blessing to have the iPad to take notes on 
I had an interesting experience Friday. My companion was feeling sick and needed to lay down, but i didn't want to miss the lesson, SOOOOOOOO i skyped into the lesson. I was able to learn whilst my companion slept. It's cool how the Lord has given us technology to help progress his work. IT'S SUPER RAD&FAB 

I've found great joy in knowing the truthfulness of this message. Something over the past couple days has impressed me. On Sunday I went to another video devotional. This one was "Missions are Forever" by Elder Holland. I've never seen him so fiesty. He "singed" our eyebrows a titch. I wanted to share a couple quotes from that:
"Because it's Gods work we have to do it the same. We Have to. 

Go out and astonish somebody

Salvation is not a cheap experience

The road to salvation goes through Gethsemane

Missionary work can't be easy. Gethsemane wasn't easy. 

When you're engaged in God's work, it will not be easy. 

Every mission is tough. No mission was easy."

I can feel the power and true testimony of each of these quotes. I've had the opportunity to pray so many times and I've been strengthened by the chance to talk with my Father in Heaven whenever I need it. 

Update on Carlos: So we were able to teach him three more lessons this week. We were able to commit him to reading the Book of Mormon and to get baptized. On Friday, we were waiting for class to start and in walks Carlos, all dressed up in a shirt and tie and we find out that HES ONE OF OUR TEACHERS!!!!!!!! Like da heck? I was so confused. His name is Hermano Horsely haha. He's from Colorado, not Chile. LOL and he speaks perfect English. So ya that was kinda mind blowing. This next week we're gonna start teaching both of our teachers who will play the role of investigators. 

 We also started teaching TRC lessons this week. This is basically more teaching opportunities. Right now, we're teaching Olga. She was born in Boston but now goes to BYU. We were able to teach her about how we're all God's children and how he knows and loves us individually. It's been great getting to know her.

Spanish is coming along. I've learned a lot about the gift of tongues and how the lord qualifies those who he calls. I know if i have the spirit and put all my trust in him that I'll be ok. 

On Sunday, some members of my district and I were able to do a special musical number, "Beautiful Savior." This is one we threw together at the last minute. I haven't had a chance to practice with Sister Bills yet because our schedules are so different. Lol Dayne i think it's funny how you think i'm stealing your friends, because I AM. HA jk but not really. I honestly don't see them that much tbh. 

Some interesting things about el CCM here: 
-There's an Elder that is 7'4". That's taller than Shaq. It's fun to watch him play basketball
-The food is muy diferente (EEEEEK)
-Between me and my companion, we've been to the health clinic over 10 times since our arrival

I absolutely love getting mail (especially Dear Elders from mom dad and dayne)! so don't be afraid to send me a little note at anytime. Since i'm district leader, i have the responsibility to check mail everyday, so it's fun whenever i have a little something!

That's probably all for now! I love and miss you all dearly. I pray specifically for so many of you each and everyday. I know God loves each and everyone of us. I know the Book of Mormon to be the word of God, along with the Bible. I encourage anyone who hasn't read and study it thoroughly, then read Moroni 10: 3-5 and pray about the truthfulness of it. 

Keep on enduring to the end!!! 
Yo se que vive mi senor

Te Amo,

Elder Joyner
Elder Rodriguez

MTC District



No comments:

Post a Comment