Monday, November 2, 2015

ALL HALLOWS EVE/I'VE BEEN OUT 2 MONTHS! (Nov 2, 2015)

¡Wowie wow wow Que una semana! HEY THANKS MOM FOR THOSE SLICK LICKIN PACKAGES. I got them when I got home last Monday from P-day. It was a super nice treat so thank ya! Yes I also got the case the same day and I love it. I got many people jealous because of it. Hahaha! Also, thanks to all the many mails I've gotten over the past couple weeks from different people. I'm trying my hardest to write back as fast as possible. 

This has been a crazy week with lots and lots of ups and downs. I've had some really hip hoppin days and some not so kickin days. This week I had to drop my first investigators and that was hard. It felt like they broke up with me lol. They didn't really say why other than they didn't think they had time. I also talked to a couple bathers (people that just want to debate and not have a conversation) this week too. That stressed/wore me out and just kinda frustrated how some people can be so arrogant. Agh I just went home and felt defeated. Also there were many days where we had lessons and they would cancel last minute. That happened like three or four days in a row though soooooo. ALTHOUGH One super cool thing that happened this week though was that we picked up these two new investigators. They are so ready. They don't drink or smoke or use crude language and they love their family like no other. Yes I'm so so excited for them! We will see what happens with them hopefully soon!  I can definitely see that this will not be an easy journey but, like I've done already, I know that I can fall down on my knees and ask for help from above. Through whatever we may be going through, there is always that help and constant that we can rely on each and every day. 

So Halloween we had to be in by 7 pm. The other guys in our zone wanted to go to the gym in our complex so we went and chilled there for an hourish. We didn't really have many trick or treaters knock on our door. Maybe like two. It was a good rest that night, and then we got an extra hour of sleep because of daylight savings too, which was fresh. I missed watching Halloween and scary movies though! Those are like some of my favorite things to do all year round! 

Dayne I'm very jealous of your little concert with Norm and Frank. You sound like a busy little bee. You asked me about Mexican food I've had. Ummm I've only had a couple meals that were real Mexican food. Paz ole?  I'm not sure how to spell that. Haha it was at a party for a member. I love at every Mexican party they have those blow up things for kids to jump on. At EVERY PARTY. It's super funny. The people we meet are from all over. A lot are From central Mexico but we get everywhere. OH one of the brothers in our bishopric is from LIMA PERU. YEET WHERE ELISE IS YES. I feel like the majority of our lessons happen in English. We do a lot of Spanish street contacting but like lessons are probably 60% Spanish and 40% English. I feel like it's kinda limiting me but also it's helping me become a better missionary. It's interesting.  

Ok so there was a little confusion on the ponderizing scripture this week. Elise picked Ether 12:27 but then I picked Alma 29:1-4, so I'm just gonna give my insights on both. YEET. 

Ether 12:27 says:
"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."

I first concluded that God doesn't give us weakness for no reason. We have them to make us stronger. We also have them so that we can become humbled. Then, if we become humbled unto him, we receive grace. 
I was kinda confused exactly what it meant by "grace" so I sought out the answer. In the bible dictionary, lo dice: "Grace is divine help or strength given through the bounteous mercy and love of Jesus Christ." I was then led to a scripture in 2 Nephi 25:23, lo dice: "...for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do." Which means that we have to do every single thing in our power and then we receive that grace. 
Ok so after we are humbled and have faith, he will make "weak things BECOME STRONG." I thought this was funny because it was also the name of one of my EFY companies back in the day. Isn't that so cool though? That as we are humbled and have faith, he will take those weaknesses and make them strengths. I think that is such an incredible blessing that I personally want to have. He will help us with whatever we need as long as we do our part! UGH that's so cool. 

Ok now Alma 29:1-4. This says:
"1 O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people!

2 Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth.

3 But behold, I am a man, and do sin in my wish; for I ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me.

4 I ought not to harrow up in my desires the firm decree of a just God, for I know that he granteth unto men according to their desire, whether it be unto death or unto life; yea, I know that he allotteth unto men, yea, decreeth unto them decrees which are unalterable, according to their wills, whether they be unto salvation or unto destruction."

So what I did for this one was a little different than what I usually do for these ponderizing scriptures. This time I took the scripture and rephrased it into terms that are a little more understandable and comprehensive. So from this scripture, I wrote that Alma is basically just sitting there thinking to himself, "Wouldn't it be cool if I was an Angel? That I could go and tell people with 'the trump of God' and just let them know they need to repent. I'd tell them with a 'voice of thunder' that if they come unto God, they don't have to be sad and sorrowful. Ah but alas, I'm just a man and I should be happy with the the gifts and blessing that God has given me. He blesses us with things we desire, so it should be good things that will help us grow closer to him." 

Now that's not scripture, or 100% correct, but that's what I got out of it. Especially that we need to count our blessings and not be needful for the things of the world. There's the famous quote that says: "Live in the world, but not of it." That basically means we are living physically on this earth, but that we shouldn't not long or want for things that won't help us in the long run. In the two-ish months I've been out here, I can definitely the see that in the world today. That people are so longing for "things." Everybody wants some"thing." We forget what's really important; relationships with families and friends. That is something I challenge everyone to cherish and look for in their life. As I'm not able to be with family or friends for these next couple months, I'm learning how important and influential each and everyone of you are in my life. I love you and am super grateful for you. 

As for next week, Mom picked Alma 32:42-43 to ponderize. Hey fam, someone should make out a calendar of who picks when so we don't get confused. 

We were in a members house having dinner last night and there was this plaque thing on the wall that said:
Having a place to go is a Home
Having someone to go to is a Family
Having both is a blessing
I really like that a lot. It makes me appreciate all that I have. 

I love you all with all my heart!

Te Amo

Elder Joyner
Study Office
Bedroom

Alex's Desk
Kitchen



No comments:

Post a Comment